Sunday, May 8, 2011

So What If We Listen To Metal: Rock And Roll Children By Ronnie James Dio




I remember the days when mainstream media would often label heavy metal rock was labeled as demonic music. That's one of the reasons why I didn't fit in very in my school cause everybody was in pop or new wave music. While everyone preferred to strut their stuff on the dance floor or go to in-crowd hangouts, a lot of us were lucky if we get to hear the heavy stuff on the air. The worst part about it was that there were virtually no bars or places to listen to metal music back in the day, leaving a lot of rockers out in the cold. When I remembers those days, I feel listening to the late great Ronnie James Dio's "Rock And Roll Children".

I remember during those days, I spent most of my money buying tapes of my favorite rock band. The music at the time was driving me nuts. Every time I played a metal song, it earned me a lot of stares like I was the devil's servant. It was only during my college days when I grew my my hair and beard and didn't cut my hair and I got my first black leather jacket, that I finally got to meet others who listen to the same music as I did. The sad part was that some bars that played this kind of music during the last few semesters of my college years. With our long hair, black leather jackets, cowboy boots, bandanas, with some wearing gothic jewelry, we were a sight to see.

These days, I can't to the music just as much as I couldn't relate to the trends of youth. Everything's so blended in that there's no you'll be set apart despite your interests. I guess that makes those days even more memorable because we tried to be different even if it meant being on the outside. I guess today are lucky because there are lot of places for them to hang out now. Unlike when rock and roll children were always on the outside looking in.

No comments: