Monday, September 29, 2008

80's psychedelic: Sledgehammer By Peter Gabriel


Whenever I think of the Band Genesis, Phil Collins would be the first name to pop out of my head. At that time, I didn't there was another singer in that band who went on a solo career. When that guy, burst on the music scene when I was in high school, I was surprised by his firstsong and even more surprised by the video. The first time I heard the song and saw the video, I was very surprised. The singer's name is Peter Gabriel and the song is "Sledgehammer".

the song was a hit single from his album "So". The song felt more like it belong to the 70's rather than the 80's with it's psychedelic beat. The imagery of the video is kinda errie and I dare say best appreciated when you're under the influence. You just sit back and listen to the song and let the video stimulate your imagination. I wonder if William Hurt felt like this in the movie "Altered States". One word that describes the song: Tripping.

I got that idea from the fact that I came down with a bad case of H-fever when I first heard this song. I guess when your fever is up the boiling point, you'll be seeing images like these as well. I thought I was hallucinating from the fever when I first time I saw this video. Hallucination or not, it's still a cool song and cool video. Now that's what I call 80's psychedelia.

No comments: