Thursday, July 30, 2009

All About The Style In The 80's : Sharp Dressed Man By ZZ Top




I don't know if it was because it was generation but I always regarded the 80's as one of the most fashionable decades. I can never the sudden change on how people looked during that time. Pastel colors, loafers and slacks were endless back then. Whenever I saw most of my classmates during a function, it was like everybody was trying to outdo the other in terms of wardrobe. When think about how fashion conscious people were, I remember the song "Sharp Dressed Man" by ZZ Top.

This ranks up there with my entry of Blondie's song "Call Me". You can tell who was the social guy from the outcast. Guess where I fit in? You guesssed it, the later! I was very much a loner back then and didn't care much for what was in and what was out. As I've said before, I went against the flow and stayed with the few who chose to live by that code in a very high society environment.

Going back to the music, as much as I liked and enjoyed listening to ZZTop with their hits during the 80's, you can tell how the prevailing norm effects even the music. As good a blues and rock band as they were, I really started to appreciate them when I listened to their earlier hits which were deeper and more edgy. Be that as it may, atleast they were still able to retain their signature tune even in a very shallow decade. Although they were not that deep, it was still ZZ Top. Trying to stick to who they are and reach out to new and alien audience at the time was hard act to pull but they did and I tip my hat to them.

No comments: