Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another One Hit Wonder Preserved By 24K: One And Only By Chesney Hawkes




I remember back in the 80's when Micheal J. Fox was one of the hottest stars in Hollywood. I often watched a lot of his movies from my high school days to college. One of the movies that he had during my late years in College was called "Doc Hollywood". It featured a really catchy song that was a very popular at the time. The song was called "One And Only" by Chesney Hawkes.

From the get-go, this song sure caught a person's attention. I guess it's because the film revolves around a self-centered doctor who finds the true meaning of life in a small town. I remember this song got played quite a lot to promote the movie. Chesney Hawkes himself came over and did some guest appearances on the local shows which made an impression on a while. Still, after the song had its run, no other single followed and hence he joined the ranks of one-hit-wonders.

This is where I always appreciate Rt's 24K Weekend Program. While other stations don't play it anymore, it has found a play there among the ranks of tunes that have captured our ears in the past. Whether it's on a regular schedule or Valentine's "Reel Tracks" program, you can bet you'll hear it being played there. I have to admit, it's still a catchy tune when I hear it. Thanks for preserving this a 24K.

No comments: