Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Another Stigma/Cheaters Song: Shame By The Motels



If I remember right, some of my entries have dealt with topics like cheating on one's mate like "What if I Had Been The One" and the stigma of making a mistake like "Joey". As I have written before, once you've been caught, it is so hard to make amends for doing such acts. Although, I am not saying it's impossible to redeem yourself, but it's going to take a while before people look at you the same way again. It's like someone hung the scarlet letter on your neck and you wind up being shunned by society. I get reminded of that when I listen to the Motels' song "Shame".

Whenever I listen to this song, I feel like I'm drinking whiskey in a bar during the 1930s. Just like the Allan Parsons Project's "Don't Answer Me", this song has that same effect. Anyway, like the song, whenever we get caught making a mistake, it really strips us of our dignity and we have nothing to say in our defense. We regretfully wish that we can turn back time but sadly we can't and must face up to our mistakes. To sum it up, that's what it feels to get caught red-handed.

I guess that's why I don't find comedy shows like "Friends" or "Sex In The City" funny anymore. It's not that I don't have a sense of humor, it's just that I really hate it when I see characters on tv do blantantly cruel things and look cool doing it. The fact that they get away with it and even justify it really made me stop watching the boob tube. In the end, we all have to face up to our mistakes. When ask why, the answer is because it's the right thing to do.

No comments: