Thursday, May 28, 2009

Watch Your Back On Meanstreets: Take A Walk On The Wildside By Lou Reed



One of the troubles about commuting to and from work is that you never fail to see a lot of weird things on the streets. Either you see ragged clothed or nearly naked street dwellers dragging whatever they salvaged from the streets or a bunch of punks looking for a free ride or trouble. I once remember on my way home, I saw a group of people and cops drag a would-be thief to the police stations, reminding me to be very careful at night. Images like that remind of the song "Take A Walk On The Wildside" by Lou Reed.

When I look back at the times when I'd go home, really late, I now realize how reckless one can be, especially when it's very late or when your on the wrong side of the street. When you find yourself in a combination of those two situations, you're gambling with your life. I remember one time when I was tired and waited for the jeep to fill up when a guy suddenly jumped in and got pummeled by an even bigger guy right in front of us. Luckily, the attacker left as quickly as he punched the otehr guy out. I tell you, you really need to be careful when going home late at night.

These days, people have to take precautions when you travel by yourself. Some people opt to carry weapons while others learn self-defense. Either way, the best thing to do is avoid danger areas and late hours, because that's the time when troubles jump out of nowhere. As much as you arm yourself, the best thing to do is just stay out of trouble. Remember, whatever it is that you would lose is not worth losing your life over. So keep yourself safe on the streets and get home safely.

Lou Reed - Take A Walk on the Wild Side

No comments: